Sunday, September 28, 2008

Letting go of Me

By: Josh McGraw
The three day canoe trip at Pioneer Camp was the final step in the beginning of a change inside of me. I have been slowly learning to let go of myself and give myself over to God. The chance to be out in His creation with a group that I already consider my good friends was the final step in letting go of myself.

I personally enjoy canoeing immensely and the chance for a canoe trip with friends made my heart glad. At the beginning of the trip the leaders mentioned that we were going to be talking about beauty and brokenness. I didn’t think much of it at the time. However, as I opened my eyes to both the beauty and the brokenness of Shoal Lake, I began to realize what God had intended us to be.

He had made creation perfect and beautiful. In that perfect beauty there is a cycle of life and death, which I saw in the trees and even this is beautiful in its own way. The real brokenness, I found, was the invasion of technology on the serenity of the lake. The loud roar of the motor boat as it blazed by just served as a reminder of how out of touch we can be with God’s creation. This finally clicked with me as we paddled along and the revelation was freeing. Being in touch with wilderness helped me let go of me.

1 comment:

Sabrina Wiens said...

Great reflection, Josh! This year is going to be packed with moments of learning like that...stay open to what God has to show you!