Friday, January 30, 2009

A nation of children

As I walk through the townships of South Africa I am greeted with the friendly smiles and eager handshakes of children. Their happiness at seeing us and willingness to walk around with us is an incredible source of joy. Playing with children is a significant part of our experience in Soweto and we are just as eager to make friends with them as they are with us.

I am struck by the reality that a substantial number of these children likely have never held the hand of white person before.

I consider the difference in their upbringing that make them so much more willing then children at home to take the hand of a stranger and go for a walk..

I also wonder what life is like when their is not the excitement of having vistors around...

 

 

 

 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: