Thursday, February 26, 2009

Reflections for Simontown

Stretching my limits, connecting with others and accomplishing some of my dreams are a few things I’ve experienced in Simonstown.
The rippling of the waves, the feeling of sand in between your toes and experiencing the awkwardness of podgy penguins for the first time were definitely memorable moments.
I can’t even describe the beauty of Simonstown, it’s amazing. I could see God in so many ways and it blows me away how in awe I am of his marvelous creation.
Everyday is a new adventure, whether it is paragliding, shark diving or meeting Desmond Tutu in an early morning mass. At night sometimes I would look back on the day’s events and I couldn’t believe how much we did and how crazy – awesome it was.
One of my favorite times of the week was surfing! Its always been my dream to surf and being able to do that in south Africa with amazing friends is the coolest thing ever!
A bunch of people would walk to the train station, hop on the train for 20minutes and then rent surf boards and hit the waves. While out on the water I couldn’t help but be reminded how spectacular our God is. It’s incredible to think that his precious thoughts of us, out number the grains of sand!
Overall my experiences in Simonstown have really revealed to me how a great our God is. Its stirred up a lot of questions about how we can have amazing adventure experiences and then a week later be helping in a township. It creates a lot of discussion among us and really makes me think about the injustices on our world. I’ve loved getting to know God better, and sharing experiences and growth with an awesome group of people. I can’t wait to see how many more ways God will reveal himself!

Kathryn

1 comment:

alyssa (kat's sister, outtatown student 06/07) said...

LOVED reading this, Kat.
you are a growing young woman, and i can see that even just reading this reflection.
but, where are all your usual EXCLAMATION MARKS? (!!!!)

much to love to all of you, site 2!